Pumpkin is a pantry staple at Two Hours From Manhattan. No doubt we are a pumpkin family. We love Pumpkin Alfredo, Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Muffins, Pumpkin Pancakes…we love anything pumpkin. Today? A first for us: vegan pumpkin pecan scones! I cannot believe how easy these scones were to make. And even better, they taste delicious! Big time vegan yumminess.
Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Scones
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp each of nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cloves)
- 8 tablespoons very cold vegan margarine or shortening
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax mixed w/3 Tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make your flax egg and set aside.
- Place all dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar, salt) into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the ground oats are finely integrated with the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: vanilla, non-dairy milk, pumpkin puree, and flax egg. Set aside.
- Add the very cold vegan margarine to the food processor and pulse until you have pea sized pieces of margarine incorporated with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well and gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Your dough will be sticky.
- Add the pecans and mix gently to incorporate the pecans into the dough.
- Turn this mixture onto a floured surface. Adding small amounts of flour to reduce the stickiness, work with the dough until you have formed a circle about 1″ thick and the dough is no longer sticking to your hands.
- Cut the circle into 8 pieces and place on prepared baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Bake for about 20 – 22 minutes. You want the bottoms a golden brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-dairy milk, about 1 Tablespoon…but adjust as needed.
- Place all the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle over cooled scones.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.