Nothing says warm and cozy better than a steaming bowl of homemade Onion Soup. And to help absorb all the deliciousness of the onion broth? Easy to make Lemon Thyme Biscuits. Once you make them, you will become addicted to making biscuits as a complement to many of your meals.
- 1/4 cup of vegan margarine or 2 – 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, or combination of both
- 4 nice sized onions (But any amount will do. We tend to like onions so the more the better in this soup.)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Couple turns of a fresh pepper mill
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon marmite (optional but it gives the soup awesome umami)
- 1/2 cup your choice: red wine, white wine, red or white cooking wine, red or white wine vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Slice the onions. You decide the size. I cut them in half and then quarter each half
- Heat up a soup pot or dutch oven and add your margarine or oil.
- Once your oil/margarine is heated, add the onions and reduce the heat to low, stirring every few minutes. The onions cook for about 8 minutes to get a nice caramelization on the bottom of the pot.
- While the onions are slow cooking, mince the garlic.
- Once you see the caramelization forming, add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir for about another 30 seconds.
- Add your choice of red wine, white wine…and stir.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Put the lid on and simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes or until you are ready to serve.
Lemon Thyme Drop Biscuits
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour or combination of flours (i.e. whole wheat and all purpose)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter (margarine)
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tsp thyme (or to taste; I use fresh but dried works as well, scale back to 1/2 tsp)
- Add the cider vinegar to the non-dairy milk and set aside.
- Measure out vegan butter and put in freezer to get really cold.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the super cold vegan butter, thyme, and zest to the processor. Pulse until the butter is pea sized.
- Slowly add the vinegar/non-dairy milk combination to the processor and pulse until batter comes together.
- Use an ice scream scoop, if you have one, and drop 6 scoops onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve as soon as possible. Fresh biscuits from the oven are the best!