How do you make a grey day sunny? You make this vegan lemon crumb cake!
When you need a bit of sunshine but the sun isn’t cooperating, the lemon flavor in this cake will deliver you from the gloom. This cake is not only one of our brunch favorites, it is also one of our favorite ways to brighten a cold winter’s day. Add a cup of espresso and you are on your way to the sunny side of the street.
What’s your favorite way to add a bit of sunshine to a grey day?
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted in a medium bowl
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- zest of 2 lemons
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer (1½ tsp Ener-G w/2 Tbsp water)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- powdered sugar for dusting if desired
Preheat your oven to 325°F.
Grease and flour an 8” round or square pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Tip: Use an 8” springform pan. Invert the bottom then lock the side in place. This will make it easy to slide the cake off when the cake is done and you remove the side. Grease and flour and then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Melt the “butter” in a small bowl. Add the flour, sugar, lemon juice, and zest.
- Using two forks as if tossing a salad, carefully mix until you pea sized crumbs. Be careful not to over mix.
- Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the 1 tsp apple cider to the ½ cup dairy free milk to make a dairy free buttermilk. If it curdles, don’t worry…that’s what you want. Set aside.
- With a mixer (if using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment) beat the butter, lemon zest, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the Ener-G Egg and vanilla extract. Beat until just blended.
- Add the lemon juice to the dairy free milk/apple cider mix.
- Alternating between the flour mixture and the liquid milk mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, beating on low until incorporated. Add 1/3 of the milk mixture and blend until smooth. Repeat two more times.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the crumble topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. You can serve it warm or let the cake fully cool. If using a springform pan, remove the side and carefully slide the cake onto a serving platter. If using a regular pan, serve from the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. (optional)