It is hard to believe that you can take the liquid from a garbanzo bean can and turn it into a meringue. It’s like magic! Unlike meringue made from eggs, you really can’t mess this up. Honestly. It doesn’t get much easier than this to “wow” your vegan and non-vegan friends alike. Go for it!
Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
– 1 cup of the liquid from a 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans
– 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200º F and prepare your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
2. Add the garbanzo bean liquid, cream of tartar, and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer and use the whisk attachment. Start beating on medium.
3. Begin adding the sugar a little at a time (about a tablespoon or two) and beat for about a minute in-between each addition of sugar. When you have added about half of the sugar, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of your bowl. Continue adding the sugar in small amounts until all the sugar has been added.
4. Turn your machine to high and continue whipping. The goal is to achieve stiff, glossy peaks. It can take up to 10 minutes to get there. Stop and check for peaks along the way.
5. Use a spoon to dollop circles onto your prepared baking sheet, or use a piping bag to make circular cookies.
6. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The cookies will be dry.
7. Let them cool and then store in an air tight container.